Since the beginning of the COVID19 outbreak, Torfaen Voluntary Alliance has been working hard to support organisations and groups across Torfaen to be able to continue delivering essential support through administrating funding applications made available from key partners: Torfaen CBC, Welsh Government, Comic Relief, WCVA, and Regional Partnership Board.
In total TVA have distributed £96k to benefit over 50 organisations across the Torfaen:
- £7k to establish and support foodbanks
- £4.5k to organisations supporting older people
- £32k to organisations supporting children and families. Some of these projects had a particular focus on children with additional needs.
- £1.5k to organisations providing support for those who are accessing support through domestic abuse.
- £2k to organisations that were providing essential support to the NHS.
- £14.5k to organisations providing support for mental health, drugs and alcohol.
- £21.5k to organisations supporting youth.
- £6k to organisations in financial difficulty need.
As well as providing funds to organisations carrying out essential work and support during this tough time, TVA recognised that there was a need to support voluntary run community centres across the borough; volunteers who found themselves personally responsible for the ongoing costs of the building while unable to open and generate income. This support helped them to fund utility costs and other expenditure owing to the pandemic, as they found it difficult to operate and the groups that would normally utilise community venues in Torfaen were not running. In total, twelve community run centres were awarded £7k to help them continue to bring much needed support within the communities they serve.
Anne Evans, Strategic Executive Officer of TVA said:
“The community response to the pandemic has been truly heart-warming, we have seen over 160 volunteers sign up to assist others within their community during these strange times. The funding made available from our partners was key to the delivery of these activities and TVA would like to thank everyone for their commitment, in their contribution to making Torfaen a truly community focused area”
If you’re a local community group, voluntary organisation, sports club or community venue based in Torfaen, TVA can help with supporting volunteers, your governance, accessing funding opportunities, and online support. Contact us at www.tvawales.org.uk or on social media, search @TVAWales.